Thread: Brooks today
View Single Post
Old
12-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
I don't think...

too many people out there like Brian Burke, so it's not really limited to Larry.

As for him being pro-player... I don't think it actually started out that way. I think he, as well as many, just don't like Bettman and what he's done for the league the last several years. Further, I don't think he's crying too much for the Rangers' losses, which represent a big chunk of the total league-wide losses reported, since they were a result of complete mismanagement. I would also guess that had the league came back with something reasonable after the Players' offer, instead of going straight to a lockout vote and going silent, he may have become pro-owner. The NHLPA's offer was made in good timing, and was significant enough (and I will qualify that it doesn't go far enough in taxes) to make a good PR splash.

He makes a good point too - people in favor of the cap say the 24% will be made back - people against the cap say it's a do-over of the last few years when things when crazy (reminds of Christopher Walken on SNL singing Tomato-Tomato, Potato-Potato). But, does anybody really think that Holik will get his money back, or will teams be facing another UFA in a few years who just turned 31? Ditto Sakic, Yzerman, and many others over 35 who will lose that 24% and funds would be diverted to other UFAs and RFAs in the meantime. These players taking the hit don't make it back.