View Single Post
Old
12-13-2004, 05:57 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Historical statistical comparisons already mean squat.

And here we get to the heart of the problem. All you "purists" do not seem to grasp the fact hockey is *already* a mutated game. It has changed a great deal over time.
Sure its mutated but they also play the mutated form for the whole the game (4 on 4 is closer to normal than a shootout). Its consistently the same game, playing shootouts is not playing hockey.

Quote:
Shootouts are not a gimmick. Not anymore than the penalty shot. They've been there for a long time, it's just that the former is not currently used in the NHL.
Penalty shot is usually awarded when a player has beaten all of the opposition forwards and all of the opposition D have an unempeded shot on goal and the fouled from behind. The penalty shot just gives that player what he had earned.

In a shootout how many of the defending teams players did the shooter beat to get a 1 on 1 with the goalie? None.

If the defending team has a great D core then they get robbed blind by the shootout.

Quote:
The penalty shot is just a matter of taste. Some fans do not like it and want to go all high and mighty and PRETEND it's going to be a black eye on this great game when it's not.
But a clear and logical case can be built for the PS. Calling a penalty shot just restores what should have happened but for a foul.

Quote:
I completely agree with you that it shouldn't be a band aid however. Yes, I agree they can improve the flow of the game and should do so. That might require just calling the rulebook as it is or perhaps more changes to the game. Personally, I like many of Shanahan's suggestions and feel they would respect the integrity of the game (more than many of Campbells' ideas, like the horrible idea to prevent goalies from handling the puck).
This I agree with. Tacking on a shootout is a distraction from actually fixing the core of the game and increasing offense and scoring. I fear the following logic might prevail

"Oh look the shootouts have reduced boring ties by 100%. If there are no boring ties due to low scoring games then we've fixed the game completely and don't need make real changes"

Sprinkling parsley on a greasy hamburger doesn't make it a balanced meal.

Last edited by me2: 12-13-2004 at 06:13 PM.