View Single Post
Old
09-21-2003, 09:03 PM
IceDragoon

vCash: 500
Why that line-up Saturday?

I have been really busy the last few days and have had little time to read, let alone post anything more than a few words. I just finished reading all the posts since yesterday, and you guys are great. There is such a good diversity of perspectives. It is going to be fun chatting with you all season.

Some of you did an excellent job of telling us what you saw last night.
Some of you noted that for the most part we iced an AHL team.
Most anticipated "Saturday night at the fights".
Most of you didn't expect to win, but I'll bet you were quietly hoping the boys could pull one out of a hat.
Some of you even criticized MacT's choices, preferring to see others play together.

Last night was not just "rest most of the regulars" or "get the young guys in a game before we cut them". MacT and co were counting on them to lose BIG TIME to see how well the young guys handle adversity with intense pressure. Would they suck it up or crumble?

As soon as I saw these lines: (thanx LT)

FORWARD LINES
Ethan Moreau-Shawn Horcoff-Ales Hemsky
Jason Chimera-Jarret Stoll-Fernando Pisani
Jani Rita-Chad Hinz-Jamie Wright
Raffi Torres-J.J. Hunter-Georges Laraque

DEFENCE PAIRINGS
Brent Henley-Steve Staios
Bobby Allen-Rocky Thompson
Marc-Andre Bergeron-Scott Ferguson

GOALTENDERS
Ty Conklin
Steve Valiquette

I knew the coaches were looking for "character" to show. I can just see them smiling and saying: "Let's see what they're made of when the fit hits the shan". They probably expected at least one guy (rocky?) to be thrown out for one too many fights. I think they had every intention of pushing MAB past empty (30+ minutes). And altho I don't know how MacT matched lines, I would venture a guess that everyone got more than a few shifts on the ice with Iginla, Conroy and McAmmond.

Moreau and Staios were the veteran, character stalwarts (to a lesser degree, BG and Fergie), out there to maintain a "steady hand" and lead by example.

A friend of mine went to the game and he told me that MacT did a lot of smiling during and after the game. I think he got exactly what he was looking for.

I also think that we're starting to see MacT step out of his comfort zone. He's going to throw us a few curve balls this year.