View Single Post
Old
12-13-2004, 09:20 PM
bruins4777*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
Brodeur and Burke don't play the stand-up style. They play a hybrid. In fact it's just easier to say they play a non-butterfly style. The last goalie who played a by-the-book stand-up style was Kirk MacLean in Vancouver, or Burke when he was in New Jersey and Hartford.

And I don't believe that the butterfly inherently limits the use of the pokecheck at all. While I don't consider myself a butterfly goalie, I have snapped a few pokechecks from my knees in my time. In fact, it works better because even if a shooter gets it away, odds are it hits your pads anyway, and with the big pads butterfly goalies favour they would close the five hole too.

I can't say whether one technique is better than any other technique. Force Martin Brodeur to play butterfly and I don't think he'd be as good. Force Luongo to play stand-up and I don't think he'd be as good either. Styles are as unique as the guys who don the pads and what works for one, may not work for another.
Bleh i GUESS brodeur and burke play the hybrid, but if your going to talk about PURE standup then of course captain kirk is your man, but i guess in the past 7 years the standard for standup has been lowered...you could say vokoun is standup also, but vokoun, brodeur, burke, and esche ALL lean towards standup as a first reflex. Esche the least of the 4, but they are more standup. If your going to talk pure standup...i agree, but i dunno. The kind of style brodeur and burke play is what i'm really talking about.

Rarely do those guys drop on both their knees. I know i make it a promise to myself to only drop down on one knee at a time. I dunno...just me...

"Styles are as unique as the guys who don the pads and what works for one, may not work for another"

I agree. Like i said, i guess its "instinct". I modeled myself after burke in phoenix from about 2001-2003...I melded that with the way razor uses paddledown for wraparounds, brodeur uses paddledown for the crease, and my stance after richter and vokoun...