Thread: Andrew Gross: Dubinsky had his cast removed
View Single Post
Old
11-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Exelby never really had a step or two. He played on a really bad defense in Atlanta and that's pretty much why he was somewhat "good"; it was just in comparison to the rest of them.

I really don't think he'd help the Rangers D at all...we'd just get to watch him get beat over and over again and on top of that he'd probably take penalties for playing aggressively.

Stempniak isn't an upgrade over Dubinsky offensively, in my opinion. After a good first two years in St. Louis, he's struggled to recapture that touch. I'm not a fan of making a trade for a player that you hope will "find their game again" after you trade for them.

Right now, this team lacks players who can make plays with the puck. Dubinsky can do that at least part of the time...it makes much more sense to me to keep him and keep working with him and try to get more out of him. He and like 2 other players on the entire team can actually control the puck in the offensive zone

edit: To be honest about the "physical defenseman" thing...in the NHL today, those defensemen also need to be good at something else. They need to be able to skate decently and be a shutdown defenseman as well, or contribute some offensively, or something. Because you'll take a lot of penalties being a physical defenseman these days and it's not worth all the penalty killing if crosschecking a guy in front of the net is the only thing a player can do.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote