View Single Post
Old
12-15-2004, 06:24 AM
Safir*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666
That offer was what may have started things, but what the Islanders did with Yashin and Peca was even more absurd.

Both players were more easily comparable to other players in the NHL simply because neither are on the same level as Sakic, then or now.

Both players held out for certain amounts that their previous teams were not willing to meet, yet the Islanders acquired both players and gave them both MORE than they were worth.
Peca hold out before he got delt to the Isles, while Yashin played in the season before being send to NY. Yashin had 88 points and 94 points (Hart Trophy nominee that year) two years before that (with the holdout year in between.)

Quote:
Holik on the other hand was offered 8 million+ byt both NJ and Tor. The Rangers felt and I feel the same way that they needed that type of player and agreed to the extra million to nail down the player you need and want. The Holik contract can't be looked at when Elias or Iginla negotiate their contracts simply because they have not reached that level of total Free Agency. The contracts that they look at, Yashin. John Madden? Peca although he could have really raked the Devils over the coals by becomming a UFA this past summer, he did the right thing in my opinion.
I knew that Toronto offered Holik 8 million, but the Devils. Can you provide a link that supports your claim?