View Single Post
Old
11-25-2009, 11:41 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
Zamboni, good luck in the series. Two great teams. Too bad one of us has to lose.

When I first looked at your team, I was not impressed but the more I studied it, the more my appreciation grew. You have a lot of early era players. I usually have the oldest era team in this ATD matchups but certainly not this time. I had to do a little research on some of your players & came away quite impressed.
Regarding the bolded part, I would not say that is true. Your teams tend to avoid the "really old" players as much as they do the "really new" players. Your teams are never really old or new; they are very era-concentrated. Your youngest player is Al MacInnis (12 years younger than your next-youngest) and your oldest player is Bill Mosienko (5 years older than the next-oldest). 21 of your 23 starters were born within a 25-year period.

I'm not going to research every single roster but I think there are at least 10 teams with 5 players older than Mosienko. Your current opponent has 13 players older than him. (yes, you have acknowledged this)

This is in no way a criticism, but I just wanted to point out that there are definitely older teams.

Quote:
First Line

I think I have the definite edge here. Beliveau is definitely the best player on either line and is a far better centre than Stewart. Noble is good but Olmstead is better on LW. Lafleur is better on RW but it is not a big gap. I am somewhat uneasy about the chemistry of your first line wheras mine is pretty good. Olmstead & Beliveau had their best years playing together. All 3 of my guys were great passers and Beliveau & Bathgate were great goal scorers.
Your first line may be the best in the draft. My only criticism is that Bathgate might be wasted. If I was fortunate enough to get Beliveau, Bathgate, and Olmstead on the same team I would get a bargain basement RW up there later, someone who does nothing but score, the kind of guy that has all his weaknesses taken care of by Bert and Jean. Like a Bondra or Mogilny. Bathgate would then be the focal point of an excellent second line. Playmaking wingers aren't exactly common. So basically, my complaint is that it's TOO good.

Quote:
third line

IMO, my third line is one of the best 2 way lines in the draft and could be employed as a great checking line. Your third line looks like another scoring line that may not be that good defensively.
Walsh's LOH bio says he was good defensively (which was news to me) and they definitely don't just say that about every early HHOFer. Marshall was a rock-solid defenseman in the second half of his career - doesn't mean he was a great defensive forward but he was fast and physical so infer from that what you will.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote