View Single Post
Old
11-26-2009, 03:11 AM
nik jr

vCash: 500
no one has mentioned it, but thornton is obviously a concern. a lack of good wingers has, imo, been a big problem for thornton in the playoffs, and bossy is nearly ideal, but as long as thornton thinks pass 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th, he will make the opposition's defensive work easier.

thornton is not useless in the playoffs, though. at about a point per game with SJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
First impression: what could have been a strength for Winnipeg in most series, goaltending, is not a strength in this series. I'd take Dryden over Brodeur and I'm not alone. I realize many would also take Brodeur. Either way it's close, and not the advantage that VCL probably hoped for heading into the playoffs.
imo, winnipeg probably has better team D, due to both personnel and coaching, so it is, imo, a better defensive team and allows fewer goals.

dryden is probably more capable of stealing a game, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Reasons why Portland wins:
Offence from the blueline. Winnipeg's offence relies on great breakout passing (Pronger and Bouchard.) But Winnipeg lacks the type of player that can make it work. You need fast snipers to carry the momentum, only Kovalchuk provides that. Winnipeg's 1st line can't effectively use their best blueliners, only Greschner is effective with the unit, and relying on a weaker player for a key role is a recipe for failure. Conversly, the Portland Rosebuds are specifically designed to integrate units. Tremblay and MacKay will give teams fits in transition, and then Abel and Esposito will be arguably the most effective pair in the ATD down low. And Coulter is a great fit as the safety net. It's a much more cohessive unit.

What's more this carries through the line-up. The Brother's Grim (Boivin and Neilson) turn any forward unit into an impressive defensive force. And Vadnais-Liapkin is the most balanced and IMO best 3rd pairing in the draft. It's tough, mobile, and smart.

Also, Pronger has often shown that a rough forecheck can throw him off his game and cause him to take dumb penalties. (And Portland's poweplay is very potent.) And is there a more dangerous forechecking line than Stuart-Smith-Pappin? Not only do they all have the size to handle Bouchard and Pronger, they all have a mean streak, they all will crash and bang. But most importantly. This is the most offensively potent crash and bang line in the ATD.

And can Brodeur handle that kind of pressure? There's a reason his success has lessened after Stevens retired. Brodeur can be agitated off his game.

And after the SSP line, Red Sullivan adds another great agitator to the mix.

And speaking of Brodeur, one of Winnipeg's greatest strengths is neutralized by a superior goalie with a history of winning goaltending duels and winning more championships than anyone, Ken Dryden.

Overall, Portland wins because it is a more cohesive unit built on maximizing skills with a sizable coaching advantage that further promotes this strength.
i don't understand the 1st point. i don't see a problem in transition for winnipeg. pronger, heller and greschner are very capable puck movers, and i can't begin to imagine why a sniper is needed in transition.

imo, portland may have an advantage in offense from the blueline, but it is not too big.

i think transition is a bigger question for portland, b/c lemaire uses the trap. every time the trap is used, it is a major issue how the opposition will get through the neutral zone.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote