View Single Post
Old
11-26-2009, 08:09 AM
overpass

vCash: 500
A couple of notes on the matchups I'm looking for:

I'll put my first line out against anyone, anywhere. I want them to get as much ice time as possible, and they are fine in any situation. I don't want matchups to dictate their ice time. But if they end up going against the Apps line, I'm fine with that. Fedorov vs Apps is a perfect matchup against my opponent's best offensive weapon, and my wingers are faster and more skilled.

My third line will also see time against my opponent's first line, and are my best option for defensive zone faceoffs. With their size and defensive ability they are ideal to defend against the cycle, win the puck, and move it out of the zone. They have the offensive ability to create chances and score, but if nothing else they will give my scoring lines a chance to start the shift out of our end and hopefully in our opponent's end.

Carbonneau against Crosby is admittedly not an ideal matchup for my team. I'd prefer to have Crosby's line go against the Foyston line. But even if Crosby is against Carbonneau, he has far better wingers than he had against Zetterberg. You can't focus on shutting Crosby down and leave Elias and Palffy free.

Finally, as to nik's point about playing on the cycle or around the net - while his forwards are well suited to play that game, my defence corps is well suited to defend against it. I don't have any weak defenders, and have good size, strength, and smarts on the back end in general. My centres have good defensive skill and awareness as a group as well.

I plan to have my Howe-Kasatonov taking most of the minutes against the Apps line and playing big minutes in general. My second pairing will play in more offensive situations and my third in more defensive situations, although either will be OK in any situation.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote