Thread: Prospect Info: Babchuk dominating the KHL
View Single Post
Old
11-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Dfence033

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
If the risk at signing a long term deal is high then the fault lies with............say it with me........the player signing the deal!!

And i hate to break it to you but there have been plenty of situations where a team didnt want to pay the player because they didnt want him long term and still got equal value back because another team wanted the player.......it always comes down to other organization valuing the player. And it happens every year. Perspective people!
So, we agree on something. The risk of trading draft-picks to get a player who may or may not sign a deal is high and that's on the player to determine if they sign the proposed contract. However, the risk of trading HIGH draft picks to get a player to who may or may not sign is stupid and bad management. The risk goes up when his own team low balls him in an attempt to get a submission, knowing full well that they will accept nothing short of their proposed contract or having that player go outside of the NHL altogether. This doesn't happen every year, because those who decline the horrible contracts they are offered have the ability to hit the FA market and seek their contract requests elsewhere. Babchuk (and I'm not saying this is through no one but his own fault) had no such opportunity, and would only have gotten the contract he wanted if a trade was made. Knowing this, it seems quite clear that JR let his personal grudges get in the way of his business decisions and shut down all negotiations that weren't absolutely ludicrous (see: asking for mid-2nd-round picks), in his own demented way to force Babchuk to either sign for one year on JR's cheap terms or leave the NHL again. The risk I was suggesting for signing the long-term deal doesn't lie with the player, if the cost to take that risk is reasonable. I'm willing to bet there would have been at least a dozen offers if the asking price for his contract rights was mid-3rd, high-4th range rather than the mid-2nd that was widely reported. Teams weren't in the bidding for Babchuk, they were in a bidding for the right to give him a contract. There is a tremendous difference there. This involves another sport, but in Major League Baseball, when players are being brought over from Japan, they go through a posting process in which MLB teams have to pay the Japanese teams to even get the right talk to the players they want, even then their is no guarantee. It's bad business to give a king's ransom for the right to sign a guy, when signing the guy outright would cost the same. See how that works, or is this still not clear enough?

Dfence033 is offline   Reply With Quote