View Single Post
Old
11-27-2009, 11:03 AM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I'm sorry man...you're putting in Latendresse's name in with Cammalleri and I just can't jive with that. I know you're big on numbers and I actually give alot of credence to alot of your arguments, but somethings can't be measured with numbers.
True, some things can't be measured with numbers, but goal-scoring can. And I certainly ain't making it up.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/2008/new_...oi=&team=&pos=

Sure, he did it mostly against third lines and second pairing D-men and Cammalleri was doing it against top-flight opposition. (Although you do have to factor in Cammy had Iginla and Lats had Kostopoulos.) But that remains a staggeringly high number, especially for a 22-year-old player.

This amount of goal-scoring is valuable no matter how it happens. Trying to dismiss it because somehow goals don't count if it's Lats scoring them or if third-pairing D-men are on the ice is silly. If Lats is a fantastic scorer from the third line and nothing else, that's still a very useful quality. At 800k, it's not like he's keeping you from getting good second liners and it's not like you'd suffer from matching him up against the bottom of the opposition's roster.

It's difficult to understand why the coaches would not want for him to keep this up even if they decide he is not ready for a top-six role, it's puzzling how that little stat alone does not merit him at least some consideration for a scoring role or really any consideration at all from some people, and it really ought to make you wonder why his scoring has completely cratered this year after three years of constant improvement.

And besides, my real point here is that asking Latendresse to score more goals, by driving to the net or otherwise, was a little silly to begin with. Latendresse was simply not likely to score more goals unless he got more icetime, or started scoring them on the PP. Very few players squeeze as many goals as he does in the icetime he gets, third line or not. Trying to teach Latendresse how he can score goals at the NHL level was always a little silly. It should have been abundantly clear he already knew.

We used to have a fantastic third-line goal-scorer. Instead now we have Pouliot, who has lots of unrealized upside and not much else. Well, some decent goal-scoring stats in limited action this year, let's hope he keeps it up. But I think the Wild will be quite happy with Lats if they use him well.