View Single Post
Old
11-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
I guess you didn't understand the moral of the story

It was more about Pouliots stats than Lats'. You see, I clearly recall in this very same hockey forum, a lot of people not overly excited about Getzlaf back at the draft, due to his clearly not world-beating numbers in junior. The consensus was, if he barely clings to ppg in junior, what's he going to do in the NHL? But I guess that's what happens when people go by stats and stats alone....the scouts that actually WATCHED Getzlaf play, saw past the numbers and picked up on the entire picture.

Pouliot, from the scouting reports I read, was clearly in the same boat. And Lats, judging from his junior numbers -> NHL efforts, would so far backup the scouts' assessment of him. Not to say that is always the way it works out, we've seen 7th rounders become stars, and top-5 picks become busts.....but I don't think it has much to do with their stats prior to being pro's.
Getzlaf is a playmaker who relies on having fitting teammates. Getzlaf's assists increased when he played with scoring linemates. Pouliot never showed to be much of a playmaker. His points total never increased much in his career unlike Getzlaf.