View Single Post
Old
11-28-2009, 03:44 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
It’s not an anomaly, it’s another reason why NHL participation numbers aren't reliable; unless, that is, you can prove a correlation between current NHLers and the IIHF participation rates of 15-20 years ago…numbers you probably don’t even have.

You can’t use a study and claim #s as legitimate for one country and outdated for another and come to a conclusion based on what you 'expect'.
Basically, you’re picking and choosing evidence to fit your hypothesis.
And it’s not just the USA and Czechs, this anomaly still doesn’t explain Canada’s higher average compared to Russia and Finland.
In terms of measuring overall national depth, in my opinion the IIHF survey of players is probably the best sample area, followed by NHL statistics, probably followed by WJC results, followed by the results of the men's tournaments that had a high participation rate by the top players from each country, and so on. The reason I say the WJC is because it is played relatively frequently and generally the participation rate is high for the top players of that age group.

There is no such thing as the perfect statistical source, there will be anomalies in every one of them, but the key is to find the broadest source of data available. The essence of my argument is that on average people are inherently equal, to which I hope you'd agree.

If you feel you have a better source of data, then please share it with us.

Last edited by Mr Kanadensisk: 11-28-2009 at 03:59 AM.
Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote