View Single Post
Old
09-22-2003, 08:36 AM
IceDragoon

vCash: 500
Most of you understood that I was not disagreeing with what was said, merely trying to add another dimension to the perspectives. Just another piece in the big puzzle. Thanx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
Interesting angle. I never really thought about it that way. At first glance, it sounds plausible, but I have doubts. My first thought, upon seeing the lineup, was "great, prime minutes for the fringe players, good idea".
My first thoughts were: OUCH!!! It's gut check time. Coaches want to see what kind of character you're made of boys.
Quote:
While I believe every player on the ice (and every coach) was wanting to win, I would think that each player was more interested in showing the coach what they could do, and try to do whatever they could to stick with the club. Thus, each shift they were (or should have been) motivated to do their thing, even if losing 10-0. So, for instance, when losing 4-0, a guy like Chad Hinz might have been thinking "OK, another great chance, I'm gonna go out and show MacT why I should be here" instead of looking at the scoreboard and thinking "this is useless, I'll save my energy for next game when we have a chance".
Agreed.
Quote:
Other thoughts as I saw the lines:

Moreau-Horcoff-Hemsky. Moreau will drop with anyone coming near Hemsky. Good call. Horcoff/Hemsky given another try...MacT's interested in putting together a 2nd line from these two?
Yup. Could be. Probably had the best chance of looking good.
Quote:
Chimera-Stoll-Pisani. Checking line of the future? Or Bulldog redux?
I'd say yes to question #1, altho I think Chimmer has more upside.
Quote:
Rita-Hinz-Wright. WTF?
You took the words right out of my mouth. I think Rita was the one in the lion's den and under the microscope here.
Quote:
Torres-Hunter-Laraque. Good, Laraque's there. Still worried about Hemsky.
and Rita. Out there to keep the Flames honest.
Quote:
Henley, Staios, Allen, Thompson, Bergeron, Ferguson: we're going to lose.
Quote:
Judging from the shift chart, Its close. It looks like he put Horcoff's line more often than against Iginla in the first period and tried the Rita line against him in the 2nd (with disasterous results). The Stoll line got matched up at least once in the 3rd (again, disasterous results).
Makes sense, thanx.
Quote:
Moreau, Ferguson, and Laraque are all willing fighters. I think Ferguson had only 4 fewer fights than Laraque last year. If you ask me, it looks like MacT was trying to ensure it would be a calm affair for the small guys. Laraque barely saw the ice in the 3rd period: its pretty hard to lead by example from the bench.
Agreed. Early on at camp, Laraque pulled his groin. He apparently aggravated it enough to "lead by example from the bench".
Quote:
Maybe its just me, but he frequently seems to smile when the rough stuff gets going.
I've noticed that too, but he also gets agitated when things are not going his way. He may have also been thinking about all the work his assistants had to do on Sunday. Assessments after that game had to be a beach. One of my old coaches used to say; "You'll learn more from your failures than you ever will from your successes".
Quote:
That was a pathetically inexperienced lineup. When Moreau, Horcoff, and Laraque are your only forewards with significant experience....wow.
After Moreau, Laraque, Staios and Fergusson; you could count the NHL experience in minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
after watching comodore try to remove devo's knee the other day, mact was probably happy to rest his star players. Calgary plays physical but when they get down by a couple, they have some real cheap shot artists. In pre-season, a lot of the guys have to get noticed to stick around and going after a knee or chin is one way to do it.
Agreed.