View Single Post
Old
11-30-2009, 12:41 AM
jarek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Sakic did face the best checkers the NJ Devils had to offer in 2001 and well... pretty much owned them. Forsberg didn't play a single game in that series (missing spleen).

To my eyes, Regina has a better checking line that NJ did... or at least a faster one, which is key against Sakic. But they also don't have Scott Stevens on defense.
The Devils didn't have Jacques Plante either. I'll concede the point about Scott Stevens, which should make the defensive matchup against the Sakic line a wash. However, consider that there is evidence that Lester Patrick was responsible in his own end, and Svehla is known to be just the same, having had to defend against the likes of Jagr and Mario Lemieux, should we get that matchup. If the Sakic line catches the Coffey - Day pairing, I'm not worried. Day can focus on Sakic, being the best defensive defenseman on the team, while Coffey keeps the wingers on the perimeter, which shouldn't require much more than he can provide defensively. I understand that home ice advantage gives Kimberley the benefit of likely getting preferred matchups going, however - strategically speaking, Pete Green vs. Tarasov is a one sided affair. Tarasov built Russian hockey from the ground up, is in every Hockey Hall of Fame imagineable and was a master thinker of the game. If Kimberley tries to get their preferred matchups, it likely won't last long per shift, as Tarasov will be quick to deal with one sided matchups.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote