View Single Post
Old
11-29-2009, 11:44 PM
jarek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
A couple of things that interested me about this series...
  • Ray Bourque and Paul Coffey were arguably the two dominant blueliners of their era - and yet they never played in a playoff game against each other. Remember Coffey was injured when his Pens beat Ray's Bruins, and Coffey was gone from the Oilers when Boston played them in the final. While they don't exactly match up together, their play will be very important to the outcome of this series.
  • Ratelle and Dionne both get another chance to shake their labels as playoff chokers. Each has a good chance of doing so, with another top centre to take the pressure off.
For my money, Ratelle is in a better situation here than he ever was in New York. He didn't have the benefit of having an elite puck carrier like Coffey on defense. He didn't have two very gritty wingers flanking him that were as skilled as Mikhailov and Roberts. He's in a situation where he can do what he did best - make plays happen, or shoot himself if there's no opening. He really was a balanced offensive threat, and that is key here. His shot will make it to the net if he chooses to use it, and Mikhailov will be there to pounce on any rebound. If he has no passing avenue to his wingers, there is Coffey that has quite a shot himself as an option. Ratelle is in a fine situation here, I'm not worried about it at all.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote