Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
Venjamin Alexandrov - Alexander Almetov - Konstantin Loktev
vs
Kirk Maltby - John Madden - Samuel Pahlsson

4th lines are hard to compare, though I am confident I have better defensive players with more grit. Though Russians might be better scorers, I do not expect them to outscore my 4th line given my superior defense corps and your 4th liners' limited minutes.
I would think they could certainly outscore three guys whose career highs are 43 points (Madden), 26 points (Pahlsson), and 37 points (Maltby).

This is the second series where it's been suggested my 4th line will see limited minutes. I don't really view this as the case, I actually think they are among the best fourth lines in the draft. They are everything I want in a fourth line; they can score, are good defensively and have some grit, plus they had real life chemistry.

Kings of the Ice:
Quote:
The Loktev-Almetov-Alexandrov trio was probably the first soviet line in which all the players had equal ability and where each supplemented the other. After receiving a pass from a linemate, Loktev would skate a little with the puck and then get it to Almetov, who was already racing up the left flank. Alexandrov, in the center slot, would then switch places with Almetov. The whole play took only a couple of seconds.
Coach Anatoli Tarasov:
On Almetov:
Quote:
"Perhaps sports fans who have seen our national team in action have noticed that whenever we have one man short, Alexander Almetov is sure to appear on the ice. When it comes to individual play, a question of holding on to the puck and beating off a superior force, Almetov is in a class by himself! He is not a solist, he is a star in the good sense of the word."
On Alexandrov:
Quote:
"I think that our Alexandrov, by his style of game, by his ability to keep a level head even in the most explosive situations, looks something like Maurice Richard, the great master of attack"
International Hockey Legends:
Alexandrov (one of only four players to net 50 in the Soviet League and is the 8th all-time leading scorer at the World Championships):
Quote:
Venjamin Alexandrov was considered the greatest Soviet player of his time. Alexandrov drew some incredible comparisons. He was dubbed "Bobrov 2" in Russia, after the first great Soviet star, Vsevolod Bobrov. The great Russian coach Anatoli Tarasov had another comparison though - Montreal Canadiens star Maurice "Rocket" Richard.
Loktev:
Quote:
Loktev, as coach Anatoli Tarasov puts it, was an original hockey player. He raced up his wing with puck well ahead of him. This must have caused the opposing defenseman to smack his lips in anticipation of a big body check or a turnover. However this was part of Loktev's arsenal. He lured in unsuspecting defenders this way, and then miraculously and almost without fail, he'd put on a beautiful deke to leave the bewildered defenseman up ice as he danced in on the lonely goal keeper. Loktev, who trained by himself in spare time, was a rough player as well, despite his tiny fram of 5'7" and 165 pounds. He never shied away from the boards and would fight for the puck until the whistle had blown. He was punished several times for rough play in his younger days by the Russian hockey federation. That punishment seemed to do him a ton of good, as he calmed down some. He remained aggressive but controlled, and became one of the all time greats.
Almetov:
Quote:
Almetov, like most Russians, was a well trained forward when it came to skating, puckhandling and passing, though he was never an elite scoring threat. Part of that was because Almetov was a superior defensive forward. In fact he was a mainstay on the Russian penalty killing units perhaps the best PK man of his generation.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote