View Single Post
Old
12-01-2009, 12:26 AM
XX
Lots of Try

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Even with new deep pocketed owners, getting a marquee free agent to sign here will be difficult until the franchise is stabilized.
I think you contradict yourself here. If, suddenly, this franchise has the ability to go out and sign a Kovalchuk type player then by all means the franchise is stable. Phoenix is a great city to live in, and offers a big market without a lot of the scrutiny. I recognize that not every player likes the weather here or being in the back of most peoples minds. But one thing I've learned is that players love cold, hard cash. If Kovalchuk suddenly finds himself looking at more money and a longer term from a team he may not choose as his first destination, he is going to have to think long and hard about it. That money may not be there, going forward, because of the growing/shrinking cap.

You see players signing 8+ year contracts because it's guaranteed money. All of it. This isn't the NFL. Because DiPietro signed for 15 years with the Islanders doesn't mean he wants to be there; it simply means he's no fool. Throw a similar contract to a Kovy type player, and you might just hook yourself a prized FA. We don't need to argue the merits of throwing big long term contracts at players to play in a resort city, though. That's another problem we have.

The new owner needs to make a big splash. With the position the organization is in, ironically enough, spending money to acquire a big name will be the best way to do such a thing. I really, really do not want to cough up a Turris or Yandle type player when we can just sign someone for cash. Stick with your guns, or outright buy some more. Don't swap them.