View Single Post
Old
12-01-2009, 08:24 PM
HockeyinHD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
you didn't think he deserved a roster spot w/ his inconsistent AHL career.
That's factually incorrect.

Quote:
i know you didn't (don't) like the "give him some NHL starts, then we'll know what we've got" argument, but that's exactly what the Wings are doing... and it seems to be working just fine.
I disagree. I think the Wings knew what Howard was, and his time is simply reinforcing that. The people that don't know, namely us, are the ones who are learning more as we go because we are seeing him for, in many cases, the first time.

Quote:
nice to see you've come around to the "he needs prove he can be a consistent NHL goalie", an extension of the "give him some NHL starts, then we'll know what we've got" side of things
My position on Howard hasn't changed at all, really. I thought he was an inconsistent AHL goaltender, and that the consistency he could bring to the next level would either doom or save him. He was clearly capable of dominant play at the AHL level, as evidenced by him reaching that level for 1-2 months each AHL season, and that means he's certainly good enough to be at least an NHL backup. Again, Howard's flaw is that for every one of those fantastic months he'd put up 1 or 2 mediocre ones.

I think given the Wings cap situation they couldn't have afforded to keep Conklin, who even the most jaded Howard supporter (so, you ) would agree was the superior option as a backup. But, given the aforementioned cap situation, the Wings either had to bring Howard up or Quincey him. I didn't (and don't) have a problem with that line of thought, much like I didn't (and don't) have a problem with the Wings similar decisions on Hossa, Sammy and Hudler.

Honestly, unless Howard absolutely blows the skirt of every Wings exec up right over their heads I think it's barely 50-50 he's a Wing past his current contract, and only then if he signs for Osgood money, at most. There's too much depth behind him and Larsson's play in GR this year (so far, anyway) has been positively dynamite.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote