Thread: Larry Brooks: Brooks Orpik wanted to be a Ranger
View Single Post
Old
12-02-2009, 06:27 AM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
What I remember of the story, and perhaps digging up some of our old threads on the Pens board can help find the exact situation that went down, Orpik was all but ready to leave for "another team" when he received a few calls from Crosby and a few of the other guys on the team that pleaded with Orpik to stay in Pittsburgh. There were rumors that the other team was San Jose, but most of us on the board believed it was the Rangers...probably because of all of the rumored interest on Orpik's part for joining the Blueshirts.

That was the summer Shero was trying to re-sign Hossa. Had Hossa re-signed, I think Orpik would have been sacrificed...and he probably would have landed either in New York or San Jose--depending on what rumor you believe.

July 1 is a total domino effect every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
This is a silly story from Larry Brooks. As much as I enjoy blame Sather commentary, this one is groundless.

Orpik is on record saying he refused more money from the Rangers (and Buffalo, it is thought) to sign with the Pens. I believe it is common knowledge here also, that Rangers were bidders.
Larry has since then been of the mind that it was unbelievable that Rangers didn't get this UFA. As if the perks for Orpik in re-signing with a team stacked on talent that he'd just gone to the cup final with weren't obvious. The team that drafted him, even.
This is exactly the story that I remember from back then. In fact, I thought it was Brooks that reported this version the during the opening of free agency. It seemed like the Rangers were about to announce a press conference and then the word was spreading that Crosby got involved with calls to Orpik. I like Brooks but he is writing more fiction than fact with this one.

I think its tough to fault Sather here. As much as we could really use Orpik, he would have come at a much higher price than the $3.8m the Pens are giving... I think it would've been too high for another Colin White. Sather tried to get Neil but he had second thoughts and decided to stay with the only NHL he has known. It's not like Glen ignored the lack of toughness over the years, it's just that he keeps picking the guys with great character and integrity... so much so that they decide to stay with their clubs for discounts.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote