Thread: Larry Brooks: Brooks Orpik wanted to be a Ranger
View Single Post
Old
12-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
^^^ I think other teams tightened things up and made it harder for the Rangers. They also started sending their forwards behind the Rangers D in the neutral zone, so that with the Rangers trying to be really aggressive, they'd get caught by stretch passes. I think Tortorella pulled them back a little on that to stop the stretch passes from working...I don't know, maybe he pulled in the forwards as well, but it seems to me that it's more like the forwards timing is all off...their dumpins aren't timed well so that linemates can get in there and forecheck before the other team has already moved the puck. Their attacks aren't coordinated that well, as too often they just try to take it down the boards and get knocked off the puck.

So, eh...I think they were a little too aggressive at the start of the season and other teams were starting to take advantage of that. Now they seem stuck with trying to figure out an effective balance and with playing well together as linemates. A whole lot could be explained by saying they're are so many new players they haven't figured out how to play together, but it's hard to tell if that's a cop out at this point or legitimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If you had to rank it on a scale of 10, Tortorella is 8 parts motivator and 2 parts hockey mind. When you have a team laden with talent, motivation is usually all they need. When you have a team like the Rangers, a bit more responsibility might help the situation. This team has been caught playing pond hockey for the last 6 weeks and its just not equipped for it.
That's supposedly why he has Sullivan as assistant coach...to help with the details, and he's supposedly good at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
people are over exaggerating how the team has played based on the record and a few real ugly games
This is true as well. They're not playing completely awful, just not quite getting things done offensively and then someone makes a mistake and the other team scores because Lundqvist isn't playing well.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote