Thread: Speculation: Halak for Cam Barker?
View Single Post
Old
12-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
For sure they should have no motivation to do it now. But in the offseason, perhaps it's part of two birds with the same stone. Depends on how good they think Halak is, though. Barker is a $3M bottom-pairing defenseman for them, and they have a $5M 1A/1B starting goalie. So ultimately, replacing $8M with something more like $1.5M worth of a young 1A/1B goalie and a generic bottom-pairing defender *WOULD* make sense to them, given their looming payroll situation. In the off-season.
Of course it would make sense for them in a payroll perspective, but they already have Antti Niemi who's considered their future goaltender and Huet is perhaps overpaid,but is doing very well and can secure a big brother role for them when Niemi takes over. I don't think they want a good young goaltender.

I think Halak has very high regards from Gainey and I wouldn't be surprised if he actually trades him to a team who truly needs a good young goaltender to do the starting job. That's if the offer is good obviously.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote