Thread: Speculation: Halak for Cam Barker?
View Single Post
Old
12-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I still wouldn't. Barker is nothing special, and we don't really have any big needs on D IMHO. For the pricetag that Bergeron commands, I think we're ok with the cheaper/smaller version in Bergeron. Halak is more valuable to us as an insurance policy/future investment than Barker would be.

Although if Gainey was able to find takers for some of our pricier veteran D first, and was looking at more of a rebuild than I ever think he will, I'd think a little bit differently about it.
don't totally disagree with your reasoning, but I'd still do that move in a heartbeat.

as an asset, Barker (quite likely) has considerably more value league wide than Halak does, so even if the move doesn't really make us much better in the short-term given our roster, it would give us a better asset to move later on, hopefully to improve another area of the team.

that said, even in the short term I think the move makes us better. Barker, although he hasn't been great/lived up to his top 3 selection, is still only 23, very gifted offensively, and will continue to improve.
Halak, while still improving as well, is stuck behind Price, and I'm inclined to think that his patience with being the defacto #2 will start to wear thin in the near future.

all of this is moot though, cuz i would be shocked to see the Hawks give him up for a back-up goalie that isn't a clear upgrade on the two guys they already have...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote