View Single Post
Old
12-05-2009, 03:33 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
I understand that both Carter and Richards were first round picks in one of the best drafts of all time, but I highly doubt that anyone truly believed that Mike Richards would be a Selke finalist (should have won) and Jeff Carter would be the 2nd leading scorer in the league 3 years into their careers. Heck, the front office didn't believe it, which is why Briere was brought in before both Carter and Richards became stars. When it comes down to it, players are praised when they do good, and coaches are blamed when the team is not doing good. It is a lot easier to try to get a quick fix by firing one coach rather than replacing 10 players, which might not be fair, but it is just the way it goes in the business of the NHL.

I am not asking for a laurel to be sent to his home, I just think he deserves a bit of praise, or at least an ounce of respect for what he has accomplished over the last 2 years. The team went from being the worst in the league to the Conference Finals with a coach that never coached in the NHL. There is no excuse for making the same mistake over and over and over again, which is why he got canned, but there are SOME positive impacts that John Stevens had upon the Philadelphia Flyers organization. Like it or not, this current team is his (and Holmgrens) team playing under Laviolette's system, which hopefully is more effective. If trades go down, then so be it, but Laviolette inherited this extremely talented and experienced team and all he has to do is maximize their potential.
Why not??? Everyone knew Richards came into the league with a good all around game that was ready for the NHL, they both played very well as rookies. Hitch was confortable using Richards in a defensive role with Handzus as a rookie, that goes to show you the confidence in him early. Carter scored 23 goals in his rookie year with not much ice time, not much PP time, why is 46 in his 3rd year such an unreasonable number??? It isnt like he was 18 when he came into the league, they were both already 20 years old and both expected to have an impact within their first couple of years.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote