Thread: Mike york
View Single Post
Old
12-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Graveytrain

vCash: 500
The year i can remember where York noticeble slowed down in the 2nd half was his 2nd season, the majority of which was spent on a line with Lindros and Fleury.... anyone who remembers those games would tell you that York was the guy grinding it out in the corners against opposing teams best defenders... naturally the guy was going to get tired and have his production suffer, as he is not suited for top line duty for more then a short period of time...

That was the year most folks started to label York as someone who wasn't durable...which i've always thought was nonsense...

His rookie year was a tad up and down, but he did lead the team with 26 goals in 82 games... the following year, the one i describe he played in 79 games... the year after when he was dealt, he played 81 games, the year after was 71 and only last season did he miss a significant amount of time playing only 61 games, and a broken hand is hardly something a player can control

He is definitely a little streaky, but his game totals offer no evidence to the theory that his isn't a durable player... those who say he is a solid 3rd/2nd line player are correct, but those who also say looking at his "medical records" suggest he is not durable, well that just doesn't make much sense... before missing 21 games due to what most would term a freak injury, York missed a grand total of 15 games in 4 years prior to last season... and for a guy who is one of the more versatile players in the league, using a slight dip in numbers during certain parts of the season are no evidence that his play drops off... York is more then willing to sacrifice a few points for the better of the team...Would be nice to have his youthful leadership set by example right about now