Thread: Switzerland: Swiss hockey players in NHL/AHL
View Single Post
12-05-2009, 08:57 PM
vCash: 500
i had the chance to finally watch a game with the Wolf Packs (AHL) ...and Ambuhl. Very interesting. in fact i imagine I understand part of his problems.

He is too fast, too smart and not big and strong enough. He is definitely not paired with players who fit him.
Maybe he is even in an inappropriate team.
I understand that some of these coaches have a very narrow vision of hockey ... some have their style and are not ready to change it in order to optimize the output of a talented but non standard player.

The line where he was in, was simply not following his vision and his game. So he often made passes and didn't receive the puck back or passed the puck to a team mate before entering the camp of the other team. The team mate would be too slow to enter the opponent's zone and Ambuhl would end up off side.
Then he lacks the size (speed + size = momentum(power)) to force the passage as a soliste.

of course difficult to summarize the situation in some lines.

But his situation is difficult. I do not see him succeed in this team. Or if he does, he is ready for a career at the NHL level. Maybe it will require loads of work ... .

Maybe the fact that these AHL teams are farm teams, meaning that the best players will simply not be playing for the team when called for an NHL replacement and the simple turnover among players limits the quality of the collective game.

In fact i was really disapointed by the level of this game. Wolf pack - Scranton Penguins. And for sure our LNA is way above this level. Probably this game wasn't the best the AHL can offer as well.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote