Thread: Recalled/Assigned: White back in Hamilton
View Single Post
Old
12-06-2009, 02:01 AM
bentheprop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Pyatt and White are different types of players.

White is a fourth liner type, hits everything that moves and intimidates, or at least bangs up, the opponents, hopefully without creating too many PK situations.

Pyatt is a shutdown type, like Doug Jarvis used to be. Right now, he is behind Metropolit and Lapierre on the depth chart at C, but nothing stops us from using Lappy or Metro on the wing, or even Pyatt on LW in a DEFENSIVE role. It all depends on exactly who may be unavailable in a given contest. His presence also pushes the other two to be at their best defensively.

For this reason, I find Pyatt more versatile and better suited to be one of the two spare forwards when everyone is healthy than White.

Personally, I'm not a big believer in the utility of Georges Laraque. Good teams will ignore his presence and simply play their game against us. For example, in both 05-06 and 07-08, the Habs played AGAINST Georges Laraque, and I don't think our club was intimidated or knocked off its game by BGL. On the other hand, a guy like Ryan White on the other team, constantly forechecking our D-men, would have more of a real world effect on the club and SOMETIMES wear us down or cause turnovers.

If by next year, White can be a clear upgrade over Tom Kostopoulos, he might have a place on our fourth line. At the same time, I like having at least one guy on the 4th line who can convert scoring chances.

The best fourth line of all time was Risebrough-Tremblay-Lambert. They hit and punished you while scoring at a rate of most teams' second lines. Maybe Pacioretty could end up being the Yvon Lambert of the line, only faster.
Laraque isn't there to throw the other team off of their game. What he does is provide enough of a presence that the other team doesn't spend the game running our smaller players. Boston has the size to physically beat an opponent up but I definitely noticed that with BGL in the line up they didn't seem too interested in playing a physically intimidating game.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote