View Single Post
Old
09-22-2003, 02:46 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
On the subject of player evaluation, did you hear Pierre Mcguire's daily radio spot today ? When Melnick asked him which center would step up in Koivu's absence and if this was Ribeiro's big chance, he said the Habs simply don't have anyone at center to assume Koivu's role. When asked about Ribeiro, he said that he was small, weak, not responsible defensively, easy to check, both with the body or stick, slow on the first 2 steps, and his shot release was slow. He said that he could be a number 2 center but it meant you had a bad team as Ribeiro might not be #7 in Ottawa. He said that the Boston players in the press box last week, commented that he would never be a star because he was just too easy to knock off the puck, and that the trailer on a play could always catch him. Other than that he seemed to like him. He did say that having Jarvis in Hamilton is very important to the Habs as they are in a stage where developing their young talent is crucial as the finally have some.

Maybe Mcguire was a little harsh, but time will tell, I hope he's wrong as we don't have a lot of opions. My guess is that Ribeiro will produce some points if he can get some pp time, but will be in tough 1 on 1 against most NHL centers.
It was harsh indeed but not far from the truth. And it's true he could not be #6/#7 in Ottawa as they have loads of quality centers.

But Ribeiro did show some damn good stuff against the Bruins. I'm not insane and know it's just pre-season but if he can add a sense of urgency to his game and become relentless like Audette was when younger he could become decent. Otherwise, he won't crack our top-4 at center either.