View Single Post
Old
09-22-2003, 03:00 PM
Nielson81

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Srummerman, have you had a few ? I was reading your post to Prairie Habber and that's all I can figure. What's with your Koivu hate, did you lose a woman to a little blond guy once ? Koivu is what he is, a center who will get you about 70 points a year with his current linemates. Play him with superstars, he'll probably get a few more.Problem is, he gets hurt, Gainey had a decision to make, sign him or deal him, he signed him because he's our best center and no one else is sending us a better one. He had a fluke injury the other night. He wasn't 'smacked', a guy nudged him and something gave in his knee. If you look back at the specifics of his injuries, they haven't been the result of big hits, but don't let facts spoil a good arguement. Tell me about these hits that he can't avoid that have hurt him so badly. We've argued about him before, the Habs need 2 quality centers but they only have one. They won't be able to deal for 1 until some young players develop and give us more in the bank when talking trade. What Gretzky has to do with this escapes me. The 70's and 80's were played differently. The Gretzky's and Lafleur's were checked closely but not physically abused like stars today. The hit Modano took a few years ago would never have happened 20 years ago. It's a different game, historical comparisons don't always apply.
I also agreee the 70's and 80's were different. Back then if you watch hockey back then is more like what we call Shinny, not near as much contact the goalies wore next to nothing in regards to equipment, hell I bet a couple of us could have bured 20 a year back then.

And as for Gretzky avoiding hits, no one hit him because they knew if they did their days were numbered, Semenko was gonna kill em.

Unbiased Canadian