View Single Post
Old
12-20-2004, 04:42 PM
Accord

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadahockeygirl
I'm not picking on you Accord, but at the recreational or any level under pro (and even then), do players really need $220 gloves? What do they offer that the cheaper gloves don't? When I skate out I have used both and actually prefer the cheap ones-- they felt the exact same to me and both have lasted the same amount of time. It seems kind of frivolous to me. Had it not been for the broken bones I've suffered in my hands because they're too small for adult padding, I wouldn't have ever spent what I did on a new glove and blocker.

If you buy an expensive stick and skate like my 3 year old cousin, you're still not going to be a super star in your league. And what good is a slapshot that's 10 mph faster if you can't hit the net regardless? So I don't buy the idea that expensive equipment makes you better.
I don't use $220 gloves, I was just using that as an example, I never said expensive equipment makes you better.

I do not wear expensive equipment aside from my 8090 skates and my Eagle X70 gloves. Almost everything else is low end stuff like my 652 helmet, cheapo low end shoulder pads, cheapo low end elbow pads, etc. Infact, I prefer most low end shoulder pads, elbow pads, etc. over expensive ones because low end ones tend to be less bulky and still offering decent protection. I have used wooden sticks for the past 10 years up until recently when I decided to spend 95 bucks on a Mission M2 shaft and using the same blade pattern, lie, etc. that I used with wooden sticks I find it's a little tougher to stick handle because I don't really have a good feel for the puck like I do when I use woodies.