View Single Post
Old
12-08-2009, 10:50 PM
HoosierHockey

vCash: 500
A couple of things I'd like to say after reading this thread.

1) When it comes to spreading hockey throughout the United States it really comes down to the people willing to take risks by investing capital in ice rinks and hockey programs.

As much as I can't stand Gary Bettman in every NHL market he's added, interest in youth hockey has risen dramatically.

Also as small as it may seem, if you live in a non-traditional hockey market you have to try and help to grow the game. I live in Indianapolis and I've started a regular Saturday morning street hockey game with my friends. At first it was just a small group but now we have as many as twenty people showing up. It's not a lot, but as my friends learn the game they begin to love it.

It doesn't even have to be something like that, maybe even taking a non-hockey fan to the game. Once there, the game will sell itself.

2) The reason many major universities don't have NCAA Hockey teams is due to how hard it is to field one. The NCAA has many strict rules regarding the sport and once a university has a Men's hockey team, Title IX kicks in and they must field a Women's team of essentially any sport of equal standing. That creates a sizable financial burden on an academic institution.

Most major universities (Penn St. included) have ACHA teams which are notably cheaper to run and in some circumstances are treated as club teams by the university which eliminates any fiscal strain on the school.

Just some thoughts.

HoosierHockey is offline   Reply With Quote