Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Haha, that's what he said.
Not really, as noted by the follow up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
You might have something there; that'd certainly help with the consistency of a successful breakout.
The gap getting fixed is a MASSIVE issue with the "initial stage" of the breakout. That was the single biggest consistent problem for this team under Stevens. The gap was always huge between the forwards and the defense and it made breakouts difficult; stifled the ability for the D to help in the transition game through the neutral zone.

It's a big deal that the gap appears to be something Laviolette is correcting. Needs to continue.

Quote:
Your first two paragraphs, as I've noted, I don't think there's been a significant change there. In the two games(I'm trying to just forget about the Caps cluster****), it could be said that there's been more of the forwards getting down low, and less of the stretch passes...but it's not like they're doing something they entirely weren't before.
Define "significant," because it isn't like they're reinventing how you play the sport of hockey. There really aren't "significant" differences between what teams do in general, it's just nuance that has important ramifications.

The forwards getting down lower in the zone...is a significant alteration in that it means our D has easier, higher % passes to make. The fact that there is another forward--in the defensive zone often!--looking for the pass, is significant as it means there's another easy, high % pass to make.

Less stretch passes is significant because those passes often lead to icing/turnovers. That being said, Laviolette isn't really going to be anti-long pass...we've had more than a few icings already on the attempt.

It's all a work in progress...but if you're looking for some vast reinvention of how you get from point A to point B, you're going to be disappointed. However, as is so often the case...the devil is in the detail, and that's where the problems existed...and appear to be getting fixed.

All that being said...if you haven't noticed how often our D were back there with the puck twiddling their thumbs waiting for someone to help them out and get open, come back...anything, I don't know what to tell you. Our forwards were almost always out of the screen when our defense had the puck behind the net looking for a set breakout...and if it worked out, it could really push the puck and challenge the opposing defense, but it also led to a lot of turnovers and disjointed rushes.

Last edited by Jester: 12-09-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote