View Single Post
Old
12-09-2009, 07:13 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post

Can the Canucks not hire former players at all? Of the dozen or so hirings Gillis has made, this is the first that seems old boys club-ish, unless you want to include Ryan Walter and his 92 games with the team.
don't forget Dave Gagner and his 33 games in Vancouver... he was after all the deal clincher to move Bure!

I don't see the problem at all with this signing... it's essentially creating a new position on the team, and just adding more experience. It's not like Gillis fired a more qualified person to replace him with a former Canuck... and by the sounds of it, he's got the right experience to fill the role he's been asked to - as a mentor to the young dmen in the organization.

Apparently he's already been working with Sauve... and has recently been in touch with Connauton as well. For younger prospects like that, it can only help having a mentor like Babych, who's been known as a smart experienced defender in his career.

edit: just adding the info on him working with Sauve/Connauton:

http://www.kelowna.com/2009/12/09/ba...ith-prospects/

Quote:
Babych has already got his feet wet, having taken in defence prospect Yann Sauve’s performance for the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League select team in the Subway Super Series versus the Russian Selects last month.

“I met with him and will be keeping in touch,” said Babych of the Canucks’ second-round draft pick in 2008. “I’ll be watching video of his games. Right now, it’s more of a mentoring relationship.”

Babych has also touched base with blueline prospect Kevin Connauton, who the Canucks signed as a free agent out of Western Michigan in the summer and is playing this season for the Vancouver Giants.
?? 3rd round pick, not a free agent signing.

Last edited by NFITO: 12-09-2009 at 07:18 PM.
NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote