View Single Post
Old
12-09-2009, 07:36 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Goaltending

I think Esposito = Belfour in the regular season.

Esposito has 3 first team, 2 second team All Stars. Belfour has 2 and 1. But Belfour faced much better competition - without Hasek and Roy, Belfour would also have 3 and 2. Without Hasek, Roy, or Brodeur, Belfour would have 4 and 2. Additionally, there were far more one-year wonders in Belfour's time.

In the playoffs, Belfour > Esposito, which is why I rate Belfour higher overall. Esposito's really bad playoff goals are known to all, so I don't need to go into them in detail.

But look at GAA:

Belfour's GAA goes down from 2.50 in the regular season, to 2.17 in the playoffs. Esposito's GAA rises from 2.92 to 3.07 in the playoffs. Yes, it was a higher scoring era, but fewer goals are usually scored in the playoffs than the regular season. So a goalie's GA rising in the playoffs is a bit of a flag.

Belfour's win-loss record is 88-68 in the playoffs, and Tony Esposito's is 45-53.

Official save % wasn't recorded in the playoffs in Esposito's time (is it in the HSP?), but Belfour's playoff save % is .920, tied with Martin Brodeur and behind only Dominik Hasek among goalies with more than 60 career playoff games. Yes, it is inflated by the fact that he had a couple of really long playoff runs at the height of the dead puck era, but that's some elite company.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 12-09-2009 at 08:22 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote