View Single Post
Old
12-10-2009, 09:56 AM
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?

vCash: 500
You're biggest issue will be whether the rink is level or not.

I've made one 3 winters in a row and each year I learn something new or find a new challenge.

My first year was a disaster because I didn't check how level it was. Water just ran off the back end and it was a disaster.

Doing the whole fill, freeze, fill some more, freeze, etc. is how you're supposed to do it. But it only really works in super cold areas like Alberta, Winnipeg or North Bay.

If you live in an area like I do (southern most part of Ontario), you have no choice but fill it up and pray to God that the weather freezes enough to provide strong ice.

My brother in Winnipeg made a rink one year by simply waiting for a huge snowfall and then taking a piece of plywood and stamping down a small rink. Then he lightly sprayed the whole are freezing the snow, basically making a solid frame.
Because it's -1000 degrees in Winnipeg the frame was frozen solid in about an hour. He then went out and filled it up. Bingo, instant rink in less than 24 hours.

For me, I bought wooden planks, used wooden stakes to anchor the frame, then applied the plastic, leaving lots of slack so it wouldn't tear and then filled it up.
I kept some extra 2x4's around in case one corner wasn't completely level and I could raise up the plastic on those ends to cover the deeper spots.

Once you've done it once, it gets super easy.
I also highly recommend getting a rink rake or building one on your own.
It makes a HUGE difference. Especially when using hot water.
My first winter I would simply spray the surface after a skate and it worked okay but got bumpy and had weak spots.
After using a rink rake with hot water it was like skating on glass.

Good luck!

P.S. Keep an eye out for sales on flood lights in the spring and summer. They're usually 50% off and work amazing to keep that beautiful rink lit.

BogsDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote