View Single Post
Old
12-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Johnny Engine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Yes it almost certainly will never happen in our lifetime. Hasek's seasons back then were unreal. By the way here are the Hart Trophy winners by a goalie in NHL history:

1929 Roy "Shrimp" Worters
1950 Chuck Rayner
*1954 Al Rollins
1962 Jacques Plante
1997 Dominik Hasek
1998 Dominik Hasek
2002 Jose Theodore

That's all folks. When you look at goalies like Roy, Sawchuk, Brodeur, Hall and even Parent who never won it once can you imagine the next time a goalie wins the Hart? Theodore had that one blip year. The way Ryan Miller is playing this year he can easily be in contention for the Hart but will it even go to him? Crosby is on a tear and is my pick personally. So imagine Miller coming up with a miracle and winning the Hart. Then imagine him doing it two more years in a row. Not gonna happen
None of those goaltenders except for Plante and Hasek were what you'd call top-tier all time goaltenders, and got their Harts chiefly by being on crappy teams and leading them to out-of character great years. So the way I see it, only way a goaltender can win two or three Harts in a row is for one of the game's elite to play for a team that, over a long period of time, is bad and shows no improvement (but still competes because of their godly goaltender).
With the amount of power players have in the CBA for the forseeable future, I don't see that happening. Luongo didn't stay in Florida, and I don't think a player like Hasek could be kept in Buffalo now or any time soon.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote