View Single Post
Old
09-22-2003, 05:40 PM
Laperriere22*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
I meant to post the above on the Ranger board. But, since I already screwed up, can you guys give me any info about whta happened?

Thanks.
I gave the info on the Rangers board because that's where it belongs. Why no Wings fans were upset about Scott's deliberate elbow to Kopecky's head does not diminish the act itself. I'm not a Wings fan (I actually loathe the Wings) nor am I a Rangers fan. I also like rough games and fights. But what Scott did is not acceptable behavior. What he did is like Domi's elbow to Niedermayer. It's like Matt Johnson's sucker punch to Beukeboom's head. It's the kind of thing that can ruin a career. Kopecky is lucky to have got up from it and is just as lucky to apparently have suffered no long-term effects from it (I haven't read anything about it anyway).

You want detailed descriptions of it? I have it on tape and here it is. The puck drops with 12.4 seconds to go to the left of Markkanen in the Rangers zone and the Wings center wins the faceoff softly back. Kopecky, the RW, circles behind the two centers and is tied up with de Vries while just picking up the puck. Scott, the RW, steps into Kopecky and plants an elbow right on Kopecky's chin. It wasn't a hit gone bad or a partial miss or anything. The elbow was lined up at Kopecky's chin and it hit its mark. The Rangers had a 5-3 lead with 12 seconds to go when Scott did it. Think Marchment's elbow on Willis and you have the right idea of the magnitude of it. It's got nothing to with being gentlemanly; it has everything to do with showing a little respect for your fellow players. If he hits Kopecky with his shoulder, there's no problem with it. Hell, the refs didn't even call a penalty on that play (pair of winners those two refs are); so, I don't see why it would be hard to believe that Wings fans didn't see or talk about it.