View Single Post
Old
12-10-2009, 11:39 PM
dmarc
SENS!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Well since you are dealing with a one foot difference from the high point to low point packing snow is the way to go because you have to. The plastic put on top is absolutely needed but expect that you may have issues with the ice cracking unless you get it very thick over the packed snow.

If you are not compacting it with a heavy roller type heavy equipment whatchamahoozie and are just packing it with tampers or something you may not get a good enough base.

I mean it's worth a try, the worst that happens is you only have half a rink to play on.

My outdoor rink had about 10inches to a foot difference and I could not get it to work right with snow under it as I could never get it packed hard enough to support ice on top. I flooded from the low point to the high point in several light floodings and eventually it covered the whole thing. it took a while though.
thanks so much,
i was planning on going with manual compaction so i guess it wont work based on what you say?

I dont mind flooding it in layers but what is a while? Like if i were to start flooding this weekend (assuming its below freezing from here on in) would it be ready for new years if i worked on it everyday? Also should I make sure the tarp is rolled up in the non flooded areas such that if it snows (between start of flooding to completion) i do not have to shovel the snow out of the tarp and risk wrecking it? Thanks

dmarc is online now   Reply With Quote