View Single Post
Old
12-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Shadowtron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I don't think you can blame the changing on the game as a reason for Jessiman being a pick that didn't work out. He wouldn't work out if this was 1990 either. Surprisingly, he didn't have the drive, nor did he have the skill (and perhaps skating ability) to play in the NHL. And while big, he couldn't play big enough to be in the NHL. If so, we'd see him on a fourth line, somewhere. This "new" NHL still welcomes power forwards - so long as they can skate and have skill. Jessiman was supposed to be a guy who could skate, has size, skill and was smart and driven. Not sure he had any of those in the end and thus the reason why he's a bust.

I was mixed on the pick when it happened, knowing the draft is a crapshoot. The Rangers did lack size - and size is still relevant, as mentioned. But when you think of the flyer they were taking, as well as the risk, it's tough to justify such a pick given where the organization was at the time, and how bare the cupboard was (I believe Bluenote mentioned that somenwhere in this thread). Sure, a bit of what I'm saying is hindsight, but to be honest, scouts' and GMs' jobs are evaluated solely based on hindsight, so hindsight is relevant here. They blew this pick and should've picked Parise, Getzlaf or another. That's the evaluation of the drafting staff on that day.
But...but...but...it's 50/50.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote