View Single Post
Old
12-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Hockeyfan68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarc031 View Post
thanks so much,
i was planning on going with manual compaction so i guess it wont work based on what you say?

I dont mind flooding it in layers but what is a while? Like if i were to start flooding this weekend (assuming its below freezing from here on in) would it be ready for new years if i worked on it everyday? Also should I make sure the tarp is rolled up in the non flooded areas such that if it snows (between start of flooding to completion) i do not have to shovel the snow out of the tarp and risk wrecking it? Thanks
I got the best results flooding the lower portion first as full as I could fill it up flooding it at one time with just plastic on top of the grass lawn using snow bankings to dam the water with plastic over the snow obviously. After that was done i did it in layers with several coatings rather than actual flooding. i never had more than an 1/8 inch of water at a time.

You want to avoid slush sag from over watering (flooding) .... gravity will not be your friend if your rink is not level. Obviously water flows downhill ... so don't drown your rink because slush also flows downhill and make sags that then freeze and ruin what you are trying to do.

I would build it up in a week or so watering (I said watering, not flooding) 4 times an evening. basically you go out and get each section wet until it is completely covered with a fresh watering .... then you coil up the hose and bring it in and let that freeze.

You just cannot stand out there super soaking your ice because it is one common mistake people make and the end result is a crappy ice surface.

If it is cold enough you do not need to wait long in between waterings, if it is warmer out like over 20 degrees Fahrenheit it takes longer.

The best flooding temps I had were about 0 to 7 degrees Fahrenheit.

The water made steam as it hit the ice and froze almost immediately in a thin spraying technique.

All I can say is if one has no petieince and wants a rink in one day they should not even bother making one. It is constant maintence even after it is made and then throw in the weather situations that can involve a day or two of warmer weather with rain (a rink's worst enemy) and you can end up being more frustrated than anything else.

I live in Maine and for the most part the weather is cold but sometimes warmer weather with highs of 38 come around with some rain and it ruins rinks. This forces you to take another week or so remaking it properly.

I had one good winter in 3 it seemed for outdoor ice here. Some people are lucky enough to have a nice flat even backyard but most people do not. Those people it matters not and you can just flood the damned thing easily.

If I had a fire hose and a hydrant it would make things easier at the beginning but with a garden hose ... it is easier to drive to a rink somewhere else.

Fortunately some kids up the street clear off a dammed up resevoir and they actually auger the ice and draw water to reflood it.

If you have consistently cold temps all winter for your geographical area you should be just fine.

If you can get the snow packed well enough you may get away with that but I think the plastic on bare ground using a snowbank will serve you better.

I'm no expert on the matter, I just know what worked for me here with my specific yard issue which may differ from yours. My yard had ONE low corner out of 4 so it wasn't a big deal.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 12-11-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote