Old
12-22-2004, 01:39 PM
johnny cool

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier
Boston University!!!!!!

Infamous student section(Section 8. What else?), the greatest jerseys, Ray Bourque's son, the legendary Walter Brown Arena, the new Agganis Arena. What more could you ask for? There's nothing I love more than a hockey night on Commonwealth Ave.

Some samplers:

http://sports.bostonherald.com/colle...=54425&format=

http://www.uscho.com/news/1998/11/29_000692.php

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...versityHockey/

Even our friends at the upper end of Comm. Ave. compliment us once in a while:

The Berry Patch
The sights and sounds of Walter Brown

By Jake Berry

Have you ever had a Walter Brown experience? If you have not yet experienced a hockey game at Boston University's Walter Brown Arena, I suggest that you do so before they put the place out of commission prior to the 2003-04 season.

I had long laughed to myself about the ancient facilities in which the poor Terriers have to play; but after my experience there last Friday night, I now have a new appreciation for the old place.

Sure, our arena is a lot nicer (and our teams are a lot better). To compare Walter Brown Arena to Conte Forum is like comparing the eight-track to the MP3. The times have changed and Conte represents the newer trends that have taken over sports arenas in the years since Walter Brown's 1972 inception.

Conte is a younger, state-of-the-art facility. Everything in the place, from the locker rooms to the concession stands to the business offices, is newer, cleaner, and more easily accessible than its BU counterpart. At Walter Brown, everything is old, dirty, and inconvenient.

The place seems as old as hockey itself. It has the smell of urine, and the walls seem like they will collapse with every body check. It has the décor of MaryAnn's and the feel of a port-a-potty.

Yet, the arena still has its own appeal.

In many ways, Walter Brown is reminiscent of the old Boston Garden. Like the Garden before it, the old walls of the place represent the history of sports.

For over 30 years, Walter Brown has been the site of some of the greatest games in the history of college hockey. It has seen the play of some of the sport's most celebrated players, and it has heard the inspirational words of many of the world's most legendary coaches. Few arenas can claim the history of Walter Brown.

And it really gets loud in there. I don't know if it was because of the rowdy BU fans or if the building was actually falling down around me, but last Friday night Walter Brown was as loud as any hockey arena that I have experienced. By the end of the first period, the entire building seemed to be shaking, and the energy was almost tangible.
I didn't think very highly of the experience at first. The old building was overcrowded, and it smelled bad. The lines were outrageous, the food was bad, and the fans were loud and obnoxious. If you have ever been to a game at Walter Brown, you know what I am talking about.

Soon I came to realize that, as disgusting as the place might be, the character of the arena is one of the major factors that has helped to make the BC-BU rivalry the best in college hockey, and one of the best in the world of college sports.

The walls of Walter Brown Arena tell the story of the rivalry. The banners hanging from the rafters show the development of the rivalry, and the names on the walls reveal the players and coaches who have made the rivalry what it is.

As detestable as the building may be, it has been around a long time, and it has seen a lot of things. When they retire the arena after the 2003-04 season, the new BU facility will look a lot better. It will smell a lot nicer, and it will be a lot more convenient. But the college hockey world will have lost a bit of its character with the loss of this historic landmark that has seen the development of the college hockey over the years.

Go pay your respects while you have the chance, and then laugh in its face when we raise another National Championship banner to the rafters of Conte Forum, the new center of the college hockey world.
what you didn't include is that their arena smells like pee