View Single Post
Old
12-13-2009, 07:54 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 500
Normally I wouldn't want to spend assets at the deadline for a player who we have no guarantee will re-sign(Antropov), but if I'm the GM I make every effort to get Kovalchuk locked up for a long, long time. Is it safe to assume that our odds of signing him increase if he actually plays for the Rangers for a few months? I think the answer is maybe a little. And because I believe it might increase our chances of signing him even a little, I do it- because he is a guarantee of AT LEAST 80 points a season - easily more playing on a pp with Gaborik and MDZ. We would have all the offensive threat that Chicago and San Jose and Pittsburgh have. And we'd have a terrific goalie to to go along with the offense and all we'd need to do is get the role-players in place and add one solid defenseman.

If we trade for him and can't re-sign him(Isles and Smyth) it would be a big blow but we'd still have probably off-loaded one of our bad contracts in the trade and we'd still have enough cap space to actually make some moves and/or signings.

I hope Sather goes for Kovalchuk hard and I think he will because he probably feels vindicated by the Gaborik signing - finally a huge contract actually pays off!