View Single Post
Old
12-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Leafs Forever

vCash: 500
Congrats to EB and both finalists; two excellent teams. Every team in the draft really came to play; it was a ton of close matchups and teams and a lot of great ones. Great job all-around guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
...and thank God it was. I hate hearing that, more than almost anything. People love to say it's the most important position in the game. But don't pick your goalie first. That makes no sense. Guys like Roy, Plante, Hasek - they didn't get ranked from 10-16 on the two revisions of the HOH top-100 just because we had to put goalies there. It's because we determined through our discussions and debates and stats and everything else, that they contributed about as much value as a Mikita, Bourque, or Morenz. (and getting Plante at 23rd between Lidstrom and Robinson? fuhgettaboutit) For your goalie to suddenly not be as important in an ATD setting would be rather troublesome.
Agreed. I too, was happy to see the "Great goalie, not so good #1 D-man" kind of tewam win out. I suppose it has to do with the best goaltenders not beign as dominant as the best forwards and defenceman, but it's still an important position and should be well valued, probably, as mentioned, more than any other singular position. That's not to say we should all go goaltenders first (again, dominance difference), but still.

Leafs Forever is offline   Reply With Quote