Old
12-15-2009, 01:20 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Guys, Samsonov got 48 points last year and made 2.3 million. That's about the dead middle of the pay range for that kind of production, it's hardly the bloated contract that could never be traded Cole's or Brindy's is.

Remember, he started out extremely slow last year too. It's not unreasonable to think that he might pick up the pace a good bit, especially as he was playing injured for stretches. On the other hand, he's not exactly a Maurice type player.

There is a legit discussion to be had as to his place on the team next year. But please, please, stop the buyout talk. He's nowhere near that bad. And we don't buyout unless it's really a hopeless case. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we could get a half decent return at this year's deadline.
The thing about Samsonov is that when he's not scoring and producing offense, he's the epitome of useless out there. I say that with as much affection as I can possibly say it with. He is a virtual liability out there in the defensive end, he has no physicality, he stick handles and actually not only throws his own game off when he's playing badly but creates a line that simply cannot have success by virtue of his dipsy doodle exhibitions keeping the puck away from not only the opposition but also from his linemates.

When he is on the ice, he commands the puck like a superstar might but does very little to prove he deserves it when his hand has gone cold. And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the second generation of Sergei Samsonov found himself jobless and NHL hopeless at the start of the season much like Samsonov found himself before the Hurricanes took a chance on him. If Maxim Afinogenov, who is almost a carbon copy of Samsonov with better speed, cannot find work here as a free agent while in the midst of his struggles then the hope for Samsonov being able to find a taker on waivers at $2.53 million with 10 points in 30 games and a -11 to go with it is belly laugh inducing.

I would agree that it's not unreasonable to think that he could flip the switch and finish the season in the 45 point range, but for the headache of his first 30 games who is really going to want to take on that kind of investment at $2.5 million?

30-40 points while grinding and banging and playing responsible defense is going to beat 40 points while floating every day of the week.

I enjoy watching Samsonov, but at a point you have to recognize the risk/reward of a player and know that he's just not going to be able to offer up anything substantial anymore. He could just as easily from game to game go -3 with 0 points as he could have 2 assists and a +1. That kind of inconsistency is not welcome on any squad in the Top 6 and that is the conundrum. When you have a player like Samsonov or Afinogenov or even Ray Whitney, if they're not going to play in your Top 6 then you don't have a job for them. The 3rd line is usually reserved for players that are responsible both ways and the Top 6 is a hard place to stay for 10+ years in the NHL when you're as historically streaky as Samsonov has been. At some point you wear out your welcome regardless of how hot your hand gets sometimes.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote