View Single Post
Old
12-16-2009, 01:18 AM
ShannMC17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAShoesm View Post
I play with a guy at shinny that started at 40. He's been playing for 5 years now. The biggest problem for people starting late is getting the fundamentals down. There's a lack of fluidity to their game. Start ASAP. It only gets harder so pony up and get out there. Try and find a low level rec league or shinny and get your feet wet. The first couple weeks suck, but when you feel your game start to come together, it's a blast.

I've been on and off for a couple years now and decided this year to get out a couple times a week and now that my skating, puck handling, vision and positioning is all coming together and trust me I couldn't be having any more fun. Join an older mens league if possible (30+). Don't play with other 20 year olds, they compete and try too hard. When you play with the older guys, they'll generally give you opportunities to play the puck and go for a skate. Too many times I see the weaker players in my age group league just get buried because everyone is out for themselves. Go out there and have fun. It's never too late.
Yea, I definitely get what you are saying about fundamentals. And I plan on joining a women's rec league once I'm done with my class.

Thanks to everyone too for being so helpful! And optimistic!

ShannMC17 is offline   Reply With Quote