View Single Post
Old
12-24-2004, 07:47 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
The cap was a joke...

but it was meant as a starting point. You're not going to go in with a $40 million threshold and begin at a 75% tax graduating to 100% or more. You start low, which they did at $45 million and 20%. What they laid-out was a framework for negotiations. The league, I believe, would go over a $40 million cap. They know they can afford it.

But one thing that troubles me about a cap is that there will be so much player movement. Edmonton may dislike losing good players when they become 26, but that may not change much. I saw people state that they would like to see a system in which teams have a chance win a Cup at the beginning of every season, but that's very unrealistic as it doesn't happen in any sport (look at basketball and football - although the Nets are 7 games under .500 and 3.5 games out (Toronto at 8 games under .500 are 4 games out - what a friggin' joke!)). Hockey currently has the most competitive balance - it ain't changing. Sure Colorado may not be perenniel playoff contenders (which could hurt the overall popularity of the sport and see declining attendances at some of the more popular teams' arenas).