View Single Post
Old
12-16-2009, 06:38 PM
bonnielad

vCash: 500
1) Like DevilsFan states above, skate brand doesn't matter - fit matters most. If you can swing the purchase price, buy a mid-level set of skates that fit your feet.

2) Best way to learn to play hockey is to learn to skate first. Learn by taking an intro to skating classes (yes, figure skating classes). The gear and hockey sticks will just compound and lengthen the amount of time it takes you to learn how to skate. 1 month of skating classes (1 30-min class a week) and skating during public sessions as much as possible to practice will cover the same skating skills as 3 or 4 months of hockey-specific introductory classes (never-skated-in-my-life type). Most rinks offer very cheap group rate classes for intros. Just make sure your not uncomfortable working with kids if that's the only classes available (some may have adult specific skating classes).

3) After you learn basics of skating you can go and jump in on puck-play (open ice, pucks, nets, etc...) to get a feel for your gear and hopefully you'll make friends that can help you with the puckhandling/shooting/passing. Or alternatly attend hockey clinics for beginners.

Don't worry about gear that much. All you need to start are skates and shin pads (to keep your knees from getting too hurt when you fall when learning). The rest of the gear is all dependant upon the type of hockey (no-check league I'm guessing) and what fits you best.

I started skating and playing earlier this year (Feb.) at 32.

Good luck and have fun! Awesome sport.

bonnielad is offline   Reply With Quote