View Single Post
Old
12-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Gino 14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but am I the only one who thinks that ShannMC17 should NOT be shelling out cash for lessons until she's mastered skating and has committed the fundamentals to muscle memory? I'm thinking that she may get frustrated at what could be perceived as lack of progress if his skating fundamentals aren't where they need to be.

I've seen this happen over and over again at my local rink by adults and seniors who throw down over 2 G's for top of the line gear, skates, stick, and lessons then look like fools when they step on the ice and can do little more than stand up straight.

I would recommend putting in a LOT of time at the local arena just skating in the public sessions at first. Once the OP can cross-overs, (left and right, forward and back) and stop on a dime, then I would recommend putting a stick in her hands and strapping on pads.

Bottom line is you don't need to pay for a beginner's hockey lesson to learn the fundamentals of skating. That's just a waste of money. It can be learned by practice and repetition much cheaper than paying for individual or group lessons.
Couldn't disagree more. First, if you're an adult shelling out 2G's for gear and you get frustrated, so what? You've earned the money and the right to spend your money to chase your dream.
I started skating at 42. I found it much more enjoyable going to drop-ins, skate and shoots, and Learn to Play sessions than I ever did public skating. Public skate sessions suck. Besides, what better way to learn the fundamentals of hockey than with a bunch of others that are in the same boat as you are. Most people that attend public sessions can't skate and haven't the slightest clue how to go or stop.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote