View Single Post
Old
12-17-2009, 03:25 AM
Tak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Size does matter. Really. I think that is why we cant score when pulling the goalie aswell because its not about positionning, skill and passing anymore, its about winning the battles near the boards and in front of the net.
Thats what she said.

But honestly, your spot on - size is huge in this league now where you cannot just get by on speed and skill. That is why I, as a general hockey fan from afar, really think Gainey has messed up.

The reason I say that is when you go into the offseason, you try and address the biggest problem(s) that your team has. Montreal struggled with size last year, as they just were not big enough team to compete. Add to the fact that they lost some big bodies (Komisarek, Kostopolous, and others), they needed even more size upgrades, and rather, Gainey decides to pick up smaller forwards who just will not get it done for you.

On the whole, Gomez, Gionta, and those guys mentioned above are very good players, but it will be punishing on them when they are muscled and manhandled out of the way night in night out, because the longer this season goes on the more physica this league seems to become - post lockout NHL used to almost be a contact-free sport, but now defenses have realized the type of physical contact they can implement. It works great to snuff out the Habs.

It is also the same reason I feel people should really fear the Bruins if (once) they get into the playoffs.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote