Thread: Shane Doan
View Single Post
Old
12-17-2009, 01:05 PM
MP

vCash: 500
I knew these threads would start cropping up. Sure, he's missed a few golden opportunities, and if he's the kind of competitor we think he is, it keeps him up at night.

But nobody is posting huge numbers on this team. No. Bod. Ee. Out of all our top offensive threats--Vrbata leads the team in goals, Lombardi in assists, and Jovo and Yandle are our top offensive defensemen--none of them currently have more points than Doan: he and Vrby are tied for the team lead at 19. That's less than half the point total of the current NHL leader, who's sitting at 44. So it isn't just Doan.

Dave Tippett's system has done wonders for team defense, and I love it for that. What it means, though, is that offense is going to decrease. Less risks are being taken, the Coyotes' game is not as fast-n'-loose as it used to be, and even our best players aren't going to have as many chances as before. I see it as a trade-off. The Minnesota Wild faced this issue for years with Marian Gaborik, who was widely believed to want out of Lemaire's airtight defensive system in favor of a team that would give him a bit more freedom. He may have had a point--he's scoring like a fiend in NY and could very well beat his point total from '07-'08, the last time he played something like a full season.

It's affected everybody. The upside is that it's working like a charm.

MP is online now   Reply With Quote